• What plans do you have for Thanksgiving?

Posted by jen-cueva on November 21, 2019 at 11:47 pm

Thanksgiving is just a week away! This month has flown by so fast. This year the kiddos will be gone, my sisters, too, and my mom is coming for Christmas. So, my hubby and I are thinking of eating out this Thanksgiving. Maybe afterward we can catch the lighting downtown or something.

This will be the first year that we haven’t cooked anything. It’s just more practical to try this and no dishes. HeHe
    I think I may miss the leftovers.

What are your plans for Thanksgiving? Do you do the family traditional turkey dinner or something else? Have you gone out to eat Thanksgiving dinner? Please share here and maybe your favorite Thanksgiving dish.

jen-cueva replied 4 years, 3 months ago 5 Members · 23 Replies
  • 23 Replies
  • Carol alexander

November 22, 2019 at 6:14 am

Hi Jen having spoken for a while, going through quite a bit lately. going out for dinner with my granddaughter we will have to travel a bit but it’s nice to get out going to Maryland for the best crab cakes best I ever had.
    Everyone have a nice Thanksgiving
    Carol A

• brittany-foster

November 22, 2019 at 12:45 pm

Hi Carol,
      I am glad that you get to be with your family during Thanksgiving ! I hope that you enjoy all the food to the fullest and enjoy your time with your granddaughter too. That sounds like so much fun. Is it a long way to travel for you? I’m sure any bit of travel will be well worth it though! I hope you have the best time.

• jen-cueva

November 26, 2019 at 11:21 am

Hi Carol, Enjoy your daughter and granddaughter. I am so happy that you can spend some time with them for Thanksgiving. Enjoy and Happy Thanksgiving to you all. I cannot wait to hear more when you get back home.

• brittany-foster

November 22, 2019 at 12:47 pm

Hi Jen,
    I am planning on going to both my boyfriend’s family’s house and my own family’s. We usually split up the holidays and try to get to both. Sometimes it can feel like a lot of running around, even though it is only about a 45 minute drive from one place to another. I know people who have chosen to make reservations when it is a smaller amount of people for the holiday and they LOVE doing that. Like you said, less to worry about with the clean up. I’m sure there will be friends that have a ton of leftovers to get rid of. I always loved having the pies and leftover dessert for breakfast for like 3 days post Thanksgiving LOL

• jen-cueva

November 26, 2019 at 11:30 am

Hey Brittany,
      It sounds like you will be busy with Thanksgiving. I hope that you can enjoy some bites here and there, I am thinking mashed potatoes and pies, will be great! That is how I like to eat, mostly sides and desserts.

My hubby was in charge of making reservations and did not as I know of, so we may cook a little ourselves so we have what we want and leftovers, lol I will have to let y’all know after Thanksgiving what we decide. Time will tell.

I hope that you and the family have a great Thanksgiving full of laughter and good food.BB will be spoiled rotten with all of that attention, I am sure. Love ya bunches. <3

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Jen,
        When BB goes to gramma’s house he gets extremely spoiled because she gives him people food and then he comes back and begs for real food LOL! But I will try not to have him be too spoiled on Thanksgiving, although it is his first one so maybe he can get a little spoiled. We bought him a Thanksgiving shirt that says “Feast Mode” on it! I will be posting pictures for sure.

• jen-cueva

November 27, 2019 at 9:16 am

Hey Brittany, I cannot wait to see the pics of BB and his Thanksgiving attire! Too funny, love that shirt!

It sounds like when our GrandPup Rosie JoLeigh comes to visit, I get in trouble for giving her human food all the time, haha
        She gets lots of treats at home but mostly puppy treats and a little human food.

I am sure that BB will love the visits to Gramma’s and all of the attention. I am super looking forward to the pics. He is so adorable.

• Colleen

November 22, 2019 at 6:03 pm

It has been my tradition since childhood to wake early on Thanksgiving morning, snuggle up on the sofa with a warm beverage and watch the NY Macy’s Day Parade. That officially kicks off the holiday season for me. I try to get my husband and boys to wake early and watch it with me but I’m not always successful.

My husband is the head chef in our house and I am the sous. It will just be the 4 of us – a nice quiet, family Thanksgiving.

I rest for a bit after dinner and clean-up then starting that night and over the following days I slowly start decorating for Christmas.

I wish everyone a happy, healthy, peaceful Thanksgiving with their loved ones!

• jen-cueva

November 26, 2019 at 11:37 am

Hi Colleen,
      I LOVE watching the Macy’s Day parade, too. I just saw on the news last night about how much one of those balloons costs. I never even thought of that! It was crazy insane! My hubby says, “Macy’s is that rich.” It sounds like y’all will have a cozy but enjoyable Thanksgiving. We also have a tradition of starting decorating for Christmas and Thanksgiving weekend. This was a tradition from my childhood. Although, this year, my mom said she has my Grandma’s tree up already. LOL. She says it because my uncle’s new wife is from the Philippines, and they celebrate from September through the new year.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family; love ya<3

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:07 pm

I used to love watching the parade as a kid! It was the best. But for my family one of the Thanksgiving night traditions is all watching “Christmas Vacation” together. It is always so good to laugh hysterically at a movie and just relax with one another after a busy day full of food and something family feuds hahaha!!!

• Colleen

November 26, 2019 at 7:31 pm

Brittany,
        Isn’t it great how classics like “Christmas Vacation” makes you laugh and relax no matter how many times you have watched it? Gathering with family to watch the Christmas shows are a wonderful tradition. Enjoy!

• jen-cueva

November 27, 2019 at 9:22 am

Brittany and Colleen, I love watching those funny Christmas movies. Christmas vacation is one that we often watch several times through the holiday season. I love watching the Home Alone movies, too. I like Bad Santa and Elf, too. What other funny ones can y’all think of?

Those are always fun to watch and laugh while enjoy taking food breaks and sneaking bites of pies, haha

• brittany-foster

November 27, 2019 at 9:37 am

The Christmas movies that make me laugh are the best! I love A Christmas Story too! Isn’t that the one that is always played on Thanksgiving like a marathon of it? Or is that on Christmas that it is played? It is definitely played on repeat though and I love every second of it. That is one classic that just doesn’t get old! I also love the Grinch (real life one with Jim Carey)

• Colleen

November 27, 2019 at 3:07 pm

Brittany,
        I think Christmas Story is one that is on repeat during Thanksgiving! Elf is another favorite of mine…actually, I have a lot of favorites. I love this time of year for TV.

• jen-cueva

December 1, 2019 at 5:06 pm

Brittany, I know here we watch A Christmas Story on Christmas day usually with the marathons, hehe

So many funny movies to enjoy. I bet it is the most TV I watch during the holidays.

Colleen, I also love the shows and movies this time of year.

• jen-cueva

November 26, 2019 at 11:40 am

I hope that you all have a Happy Thanksgiving. I know that I have not been on as often this last month. I was busy with PH Awareness and my hubby’s emergency procedure and recovery. I am grateful to each of you.

I am loving the PH Awareness stories and working with old and new PHriends.

Enjoy family, friends, and good food, with lots of love and laughter.

• brittany-foster

November 26, 2019 at 1:08 pm

We are so thankful for YOU too Jen!!! You did an amazing job at bringing awareness to PH this month and you should be so proud of all the work you have done to make this a successful month of sharing stories and letting other’s voices be heard. We couldn’t have done it without you! YOU ROCK!

• jen-cueva

November 27, 2019 at 9:27 am

Thank you, Brittany and Colleen. I appreciate your support and kind words. It means so much. I appreciate each of you and together we Rock! I certainly could not have done this project without the help of so many. I have enjoyed working close on this project and spreading PH Awareness in a different direction than usual. I am learning more about Instagram, too. No worries, Brittany, I can still learn a ton more from you.

Wishing you both a Happy Thanksgiving and much health, rest, and happiness.<3

• brittany-foster

November 27, 2019 at 9:35 am

Jen,
        I wish you and your hubby the best Thanksgiving too! Be sure to send me some selfies tomorrow LOL! I always love your posts on instagram. Parents on Instagram always make me laugh 🙂 That and texting. You are a GREAT texter but my dad is a typical “dad” texter. Me: “hey dad, I love you have a great day!” My dad: “k (heart emoji) ” LOL like jeeeez thanks, dad!

• jen-cueva

December 1, 2019 at 4:59 pm

Hey Brittany, thanks for the kind words and support.

Too funny, your Dad texts back lie my Step-Dad. LOL
        My Dad still has a flip-phone. He refuses to get a new one, he only uses it to make calls. He won’t leave a voicemail, either. That is so funny!

We had a great Thanksgiving. My hubby made reservations at Maggiano’s. I was nervous because it is an Italian restaurant. But, it was great! That had the usual family-style service, but for the two of us, it was a ton of food. The price was probably cheaper than if we bought all of the stiff at the store. I enjoyed no clean-up the most. Hehe

We also were able to go and join our friends who decorate each year in Houston at the Uptown lights, it was magical and I was so not feeling like it was time to kick off the holidays, this helped me so much. Of course, I have been resting since pretty much. Hehe

• Colleen

November 26, 2019 at 7:29 pm

Jen, you have done a great job sharing the PH stories! Thank you for your hard work on that project. You and your hubby continue taking good care of each other and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I am grateful to you, Brittany and all our wonderful members here on the forums. I am thankful for Phamily!

• rebecca-talkie

November 29, 2019 at 1:51 pm

Since my children’s Grandparents have all passed, holiday dinners are now all ME. They are all adults with homes of their own, but none of them have the room to handle 8+ adults and 4 children who are all mobile. I tried to teach my daughters to cook, but none of them ever seemed really interested. They all managed to marry men who cook, to some extent. My youngest daughter married a man who COOKS and is really imaginative in the kitchen. I bought everything and he came up with a special rub for the turkey, filleted it and cooked it on the gas grill. This is the third time we have had it and it is spectacular. Each family brought a “side” although one just brought wine. We had one other guest and plenty of food, mostly prepared by me. My husband, bless his heart, gets called into the kitchen to do the dishes as we dirtied them. At the end of it all, I was exhausted, but happy. Everyone was full and we all had fun. But things do happen. One Uncle was supervising the kids in the basement and he allowed them to make an unholy mess. The dishwasher only holds so much so it’ll be three days and lots of handwashing before it is all put away. As long as I am able to do this….I will. It is getting harder but I want my Grandchildren to have memories of dinners at Grammy’s house.

• jen-cueva

December 1, 2019 at 5:03 pm

Wow, Rebecca! I am so touched after reading your story. It sounds like an amazing day and spending time with your grandchildren and their families. They lucked up with the cooking husbands, hehe

I hope that you are resting as I can imagine this was exhausting. I love that you want them to have “memories of dinners at Grammy’s”.