Pulmonary Hypertension News Forums Forums Our Community Upcoming Procedures Brittany Is Back In The Hospital

• Brittany Is Back In The Hospital

Posted by Colleen on October 28, 2019 at 2:26 pm

Our dear Brittany needs our prayers and encouraging words! She went into hypothermic shock while she was at the New England Patriots football game. She said that the weather conditions were cold and rainy, and her body couldn’t handle it. She is currently in the hospital.

You are on our minds and in our hearts @brittany-foster! Take care of yourself and I hope you will be well enough to return home soon!

Colleen replied 4 years, 4 months ago 14 Members · 60 Replies
  • 60 Replies
  • jen-cueva

October 28, 2019 at 3:29 pm

Thanks for sharing, Colleen. My heart breaks and I just cannot even imagine her pain and frustrations.

Brittany, as Colleen says, please know that we are all thinking of you every day and keeping you in our prayers. We will all be here waiting when you were strong enough to join us. Please, focus on taking care of YOU, first. We love you bunches and here for you. You mean more than words can express to myself and so many of us here in the forums.

• douglas-knuth

November 5, 2019 at 3:06 pm

Brittany, I am sending blessings of healing and support for you. Hope you recover quickly and are soon back to living life in the manner you wish.

• brittany-foster

November 5, 2019 at 3:21 pm

Douglas,
        Thank you so much. I am hoping for the same. I have a pretty bad infection right at the site that is super painful to deal with right now but hoping it improves !

• jen-cueva

November 6, 2019 at 10:18 am

I hate that you have this nasty infection, Brittany.

Prayers and positive vibes are with you as you heal. I am sure that certainly makes the pain that much worse. I hope that you are still able to get some nutrition through the new smaller tube.

Take care of yourself, first! Mentally and physically, we certainly understand that some days you just need tome for yourself. There is nothing wrong with that.

• jimi-mcintosh

October 29, 2019 at 11:18 am

Brittany, I truly hope that you will have a speedy recovery, praying for your healing. I know how it feels to be the only one not invited to the party. PH limits what we can participate in, where we can go, and how to prepare for it.

They told my daughter to stop working and avoid crowds, whereas, bacteria and viruses were abundant. She used going to therapy, as a cover for going to work. It is hard when you are young to accept limits, but it doesn’t mean to vegetate, just move a little slower, spend less time, and dress properly.

I admire your will-power and I know you are going to get control of the digestive issues and go back to being the leader that you are. Looking forward to hearing you overcame the devil.

• brittany-foster

October 29, 2019 at 12:43 pm

Thank you for your words of encouragement Jimi! That means so much to me. It definitely is really hard to accept these things when we are younger. We just want to be able to keep up and feel normal and feel like doing what everyone else is doing

• gayle-ward

October 29, 2019 at 11:57 am

Britney, I am praying for you. Get better soon

• brittany-foster

October 29, 2019 at 12:13 pm

Gayle, thank you for the prayers. It really means a lot to me!

• carol-volckmann

October 29, 2019 at 12:06 pm

Thank you Colleen for letting us know Brittney is in hospital.
    Brittney, our prayers and love surround you and your family of course, including BB. Please take care so you will be able to be home and cuddle witb that fur child! ❤❤🐶

• brittany-foster

October 29, 2019 at 12:12 pm

Crol,
      That is something that I am looking forward to the most ! Being there for my fur baby. I have been imagining him next to me every single night.

• lea-a-george

October 29, 2019 at 1:03 pm

Aw so sorry to hear that. Feel better soon Brittany. Sending you positive thoughts and well wishes.

• brittany-foster

October 29, 2019 at 1:46 pm

Thank you all for the support. I had a hypothermic shock and also ended up having a seizure due to my oxygen levels being as low as they were. I am getting a central line placed for IV nutrition and probably working with GI to see what the beat tube option is right now.

• jen-cueva

October 29, 2019 at 2:24 pm

It is great to see you popping by, Brittany. I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I cannot even begin to imagine how much disappointment and frustration you are dealing with. But, I know that your medical team will take great care of you and get you back to us all soon.

Love you bunches and take all the time you end to rest and recover so you can have the PICC line placed and feeding tube placement changed to help you.

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:47 am

Jen,
        Thank you so much for the prayers and good wishes. It is definitely hard and frustrating to be back here. I know that I am trying my hardest to stay distracted and make it through the week. Sunday and Monday seemed like they went by in a blur. There was talk about TPN and a PICC line but that is just not something that is feasible for me and something that could actually kill me so I am not going that path. I am going to keep fighting. I think they may be able to switch out my tube I have now for a smaller one that is smaller calliber on the inside. Hoping it goes well. That looks like it is going to be scheduled for placement on Friday. So I will hopefully be out of here by early next week. It’s so hard being away and it has been awful being away from little BB. I know he must miss me.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 8:08 am

Brittany, I hope that today is a little better for you. Maybe the smaller tube will help since you are so small, I m thinking it should help with some of your pain. It is just the healing process afterward may be tough.

I know that your team and you made the best decisions for you and that is important. I am happy that you are in good hands. This week is almost over, so hopefully, things are moving forward, even if at a turtle’s pace.

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 12:50 pm

Yes,
        they said that the tube that they got is from the children’s hospital and it is for children size intestines so they are hopeful that it will be a better fit for me and my body and what they are dealing with. Fingers crossed! My OR time was set for 12:30 but you know how these things work, usually it gets pushes back and back which stinks because all I want is just some ice cream after this and to be hooked up to some actual nutrients.

• Colleen

October 29, 2019 at 3:30 pm

That must have been a scary experience for you! It is good to hear from you and I hope your team figures out the best plan for you soon. I’m sure you are anxious to return home to that little bundle of fur waiting for you.

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:38 am

I honestly just want to be home. I know that I need a smaller tube and from what they told me this morning I think they are looking to replace the tube that I currently have with a smaller one in hopes that it gets rid of some of the pain I’ve been having.

• Colleen

October 30, 2019 at 2:53 pm

Brittany,
        Last night as I was snuggling with my own dog I got emotional thinking about you. I’m so sorry that you are back in the hospital and struggling so much. This might sound crazy but have you tried skyping for facetiming with your dog? You would be surprised how much joy that can bring you. I’ve done that before for my son.

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Hi Colleen,
        I actually have been face timing with my dog and my boyfriend every night. My bf has come to see me on both of his days off since I’ve been here. I can’t wait to just hold and love my puppy when I’m home though. It will be the best feeling in the world.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 7:13 am

Oh, Brittany, I know that that baby boy wants his Mom home, too. I am sitting in my bed typing with Sasha curled up right next to me. I know that with BB, it is even harder for you.

I am glad that you can FaceTime with Jay and BB every night.

I am so sorry that you are back in the hospital. I know this has taken a toll on you mentally, too. How could it not? That must have been so scary to experience the seizures and all you are dealing with.

Thinking of you and prayers that the team has the best plan and you will be strong enough to get back home, soon. Your strength never seems to amaze me. Love you bunches.

• rockefeline-denis

October 29, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Thank you Colleen for keeping us informed.
    Brittany, you are a wonderful woman and I admire your courage. One more time you’ll be victorious. My thoughts and prayers are with you. You will make it through. It really not easy to remember that we are just like the turtles. We must move slowly. Speedy recovery!

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 9:29 am

So true,
      we really are just like little turtles. It is always so frustrating to me to feel like a let down to myself and to those around me. I was really looking forward to having a great time with the people I care about and it just took a turn for the worse. I need a much needed “me break” and self care break after all of this is said and done. I need to refocus on my health and my priorities.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 7:56 am

So true, Brittany and @rockie436. We have to learn to say, no. I am working on that as well. I will certainly need to come to share my new column tomorrow here.

Brittany, I hate that this happened. I know you were excited and ready to enjoy the game with your loved ones. That was so unfair, I am sorry.

I certainly hope that you realize that you are not a disappointment to anyone. Be patient with yourself. You are one strong and an inspiring young woman.You mean so much to us and so many more. We are here for you.

I wanted to share this song with you.I love this and play it when I need a reminder. I thought of you when I heard it yesterday coming back from my appointment.

• Colleen

October 31, 2019 at 12:39 pm

Oh geez @jenc I’m in tears after listening to that song. Such beautiful words and perfect for our Brittany. We love you @brittany-foster! You are in our thoughts all the time and we want you home with your puppy soon!

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 12:52 pm

Thanks so much for sharing that. I just am thinking that I really am dissapointed. Like maybe I shouldn’t have gone out in that weather, maybe I shouldn’t have had those drinks at all, maybe i shouldn’t have tried to eat. I feel like I did all the wrong things for myself in hopes of just having one day where I feel okay and have some fun. I just hate the fact that it landed me in the hospital and now waiting on a surgery.

• Colleen

October 31, 2019 at 12:57 pm

@brittany-foster please….please don’t blame yourself! What happened is not your fault and you have every right and deserve to enjoy some fun in your life.

It’s hard to see this now but maybe in time you will think about what happened as a blessing. Your body was in desperate need of more assistance and nourishment and now your team has a plan. This next step might have been delayed if this event didn’t happen. It’s awful that it did but at least it’s proceeded with hope.

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 1:05 pm

Colleen,
        you’re right. I hate to include this in the old cliche of “things happen for a reason” but this time it was definitely my body’s way of saying “I can’t do this and can’t keep up like this anymore!” It was scary to feel myself in that state but I know that ultimately I am going to get the right treatment and nourishment for my body.

• Colleen

October 31, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Brittany,
        I guess that was what I was saying – that everything happens for a reason. Just don’t tell my dad I said it because that’s his favorite saying and I like to argue with him about it.

• brittany-foster

November 6, 2019 at 8:13 pm

Jen,
        You’re right, taking care of mental and physical health is really an important part of healing. It’s hard when I feel like I need to stay distracted in order to help my mind. It definitely gets me feeling worn out though. Makes the day go by fast but still struggling after this hospital stay.

• rockefeline-denis

October 30, 2019 at 11:10 am

Yes, you do. Sometimes we have to say no and cancel plans even though we would like to please the ones we love.

• ronald-cole

October 31, 2019 at 10:08 am

I want to thank Jen for the letter she wrote to Brittany with that beautiful song embedded in her message. The song, the words are a guide to Brittanny’s recovery, believe, God said that, believe, and it will all be guided for you; you will have nothing more to do. The people that love you will carry the load until your stronger

Thanks, Jen, it was a lovely song.

Ron Cole

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 12:54 pm

So true, Ron. I hope that those that love and support me will help me during these times especially since I am going to have to gain back a lot of my strength. It’s tough, but I know I can do it. I can get better.

• Carol alexander

October 30, 2019 at 3:14 pm

Hi Brittany
    So sorry to hear that you are back in the hospital
    Get well soon
    HUGS AND PRYERS
    Carol A

• brittany-foster

October 30, 2019 at 4:17 pm

Thank you so much, Carol. I always appreciate the prayers and well wishes ! Hope you are doing well too.

• jimi-mcintosh

October 30, 2019 at 9:45 pm

Hello Brittany, I really hope you have been feeling better today and you are preparing to finish this episode of “Greys Anatomy”, the food is not as good as they make it sound and the doctors aren’t as frisky. My last visit, I had a rush on my nephrologist, so I tried to stay a little longer. After the blood suckers kept waking me every 2 hours, I had to come to get some real sleep.

Seriously, I hope your medical team has come up with a fix for your digestive issues and you will soon be on supplement that will allow you to get your strength back and you’ll be back to
    Guide us thru this wintery weather. Your new puppy is cute, I would love to have a pet, just my grandkids aren’t old enough to walk him for me.

Praying for your speedy recovery

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Thanks so much Jimi,
      I am hopeful for this too. I really just want to avoid hospitals for as long as I possibly can after this. I haven’t had an ambulance ride to the hospital in awhile so there was nothing that was really THAT bad of an emergency until now. It was just scary and it is going to take me a bit to emotionally and physically recover from this. It’s so hard.

• ronald-cole

October 31, 2019 at 9:54 am

My Dear Friend Brittany,
    You were right there when I first discovered I had PH. I came home from my Initial meeting with the Doctors scared, and wondering just what was happening to me. I was told to sign up for this site to stay on top of this disease and share it with others. The Minute I was online, I met Brittany as I wrote a short note to get started. Brittany returned it, and I remember the comfort and solace it gave me to know that at least one other person understood. Now is my time to give back; I will dedicate my prayers each day to Brittany’s speedy recovery until I learn that she is back home and comfortable. Get well soon my friend

Ronald Cole ( Ron

• brittany-foster

October 31, 2019 at 12:58 pm

Thank you so much, Ron. I will definitely keep everyone updated here as best I can! I am really hoping to be home by the weekend depending on how this surgery and everything goes. It should be pretty simple, but I am always knowing that surprises may happen.

• jen-cueva

October 31, 2019 at 3:38 pm

@texas2018, thanks so much for your kind words.

@brittany-foster, I know that will be much be using the smaller size.

​@colleensteele, thanks, I love that song and thought of Brittany when I heard it so I had to share. Sorry for the tears, but I know it is such an appropriate song for our Brittany, too.

You got this, Brittany. I know that you will update when you can. Do NOT blame yourself, like Colleen says. I am praying hard that this the smaller size is a much better fit for your size, too.

• brittany-foster

November 1, 2019 at 7:37 am

I am praying and hoping for this too! My surgery had to be pushed back to today because of an emergency that happened yesterday. I am on the list to be done today but either way I plan on leaving here once it’s put in. They already have the discharge paperwork ready to go, just need the report from the OR suite and then I can leave. So by the time I am recovered hopefully I can just head home and be with my puppy and start my path on regaining some weight and some normalcy back in my life.

• jimi-mcintosh

October 31, 2019 at 9:01 pm

Brittany most things happen for a reason, all things happen, when we forget what our goals are. We all wish for happy, healthier days. I want more than anything to run, laugh and play with my grand and great grandkids, work in my yard, fix on my on my old car. There are limits to what we can do in a day.

I know you are in the dumps and you are dealing with PH, mild PSTD, wishing that you had a few days whereas there is no pain, no trauma, no pressing decisions, just living life to the fullest. Take care of yourself, allow for those things, you cannot control, make plans for those you can control. There are people you love praying for you, you have won so many battles and you will
    Win this one too!

• brittany-foster

November 1, 2019 at 7:39 am

Thank you so much, Jimi. Your words really struck me. You are so right “all things happen when we forget what our goals are.” I lost sight of my health and taking care of myself which is easy to do when I have a lot on my mind and a million things keeping me distracted during the day. It’s hard when it all catches you off guard but I am hopeful that this will put me back on track to better health, better nutrition, and just better mental clarity.

• v-r-peterson

November 5, 2019 at 1:23 pm

I’m so sorry, @brittany-foster! You’re in my thoughts and prayers. Please forgive the delay, as I just saw this.

• brittany-foster

November 5, 2019 at 1:32 pm

V.R. thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers, it means a lot to me to know that I have the support that I do from this online forum and my online community of friends. It’s amazing how the internet can really connect us!

• candace-borden

November 27, 2019 at 2:44 pm

Brittany, sorry to hear your in the hospital! Nobody likes that! Hang in there! Sending positive energy and prayer!

✌🏽♥️
    Candace

• brittany-foster

November 27, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Thank you so much. luckily this post was from last month. I am doing a lot better than I was at this time but still can be a struggle sometimes. I’m sure you can understand.

• normarg

November 28, 2019 at 4:16 pm

Can only send best wishes and distance hugs from Petawawa, Ontario. Keep on keeping on!

• jimi-mcintosh

November 30, 2019 at 4:37 pm

Brittany, I am praying for your speedy recovery, hoping that this is a short stay and you will soon be back to your
    Better self. If I b can do anything for you do not hesitate to let me know.

• ronald-cole

December 3, 2019 at 3:21 pm

My Dear Friend Brittany, I knew you were in the hospital again and had been feeling very bad, ongoing about you. I saw that so many people were writing. I would wait. Of course, we have never met. I wish I could visit and bring you a beautiful bouquet of your favorite flowers for your bedside. When I am down and hurting, you’re my inspiration, and I want you to know for real, I have endured many hardships with this disease but none such as yours. Brittney, as a Retired U.S. Marine, I have seen Bravery before, but in your way, you are right there with us, honey. I remember there are combat situations the little touch of innocence was are Dogs, and we cherished our German Shepherds, they brought that warmness from home, I understand why you miss your puppy, great solace as trust me, they do know when you look and talk to them. It is not a myth; I have seen dogs cry when their Handler gets wounded or killed and is removed from them. Hurry Home to your best friend, talk to your dog in private, you can tell them everything, when they look in your face, trust me, they do understand. Love you and get well, your friend forever. Ron

• brittany-foster

December 3, 2019 at 4:13 pm

Ron,
      Honestly thank you so so much for the get well wishes and for what you wrote to me about looking at me as as source of strength. That’s how I also feel about you and so many of our members here. I wish I could take a lot of hurt away from the people that have it, but all hurts definitely don’t go without some sort of lesson and reason to keep rising above it. It sounds cliche, but it’s true. We really don’t know how much we are capable of enduring until we have endured the unthinkable. I hope for the best for you every day. You are a real gift to the forums. Thank you so much for writing !

• ronald-cole

December 3, 2019 at 3:38 pm

Dear Brittney, I just had and Idea, when I was in the hospital for 46 straight days alone with only Marines visiting me from Camp Pendleton, California, I had a pleasant surprise. I had a little Shih Tzu named Oreo, black and white. I asked a neighbor lady to watch over Oreo when I was gone. This was remarkable, one evening when it was late, the lady visited me, and she had a big straw handbag with her. She came up to my bed to say hello, and WHOOPS little Oreo came out of the purse, and I hid him under the blanket for 30 minutes. That brought me up ten notches. He just laid there quiet and stared at me as he knew I was in tough shape, I know it’s probably not possible for you, but I thought I would plant that seed and see if you could make that tree grow. Hugs, Ron Cole

• Colleen

December 3, 2019 at 3:54 pm

@texas2018 really, this made my day! It gave me the warm fuzzy’s and made me a little teary eyed. That is a precious memory that you shared, Ron. I don’t know how doable it would be for Brittany or if she would risk it but I love that you managed to pull it off. It is amazing how emotionally healing animals can be. I know my son’s dog has offered him more hope than any medication could. They are so smart too! It sounds like your little fur ball knew how much you needed him.

• brittany-foster

December 3, 2019 at 4:15 pm

Ron,
      Thankfully I am at home now too and have been in and out of the hospital and doctor visits but it feels good to be able to be back with my dog. He is the absolute best and I love our days together and hanging out with one another. We just got a good amount of snow so it was his first snowfall experience and he was GREAT in it. They are seriously like little kids just figuring out the world. I love it!

• gayle-ward

December 5, 2019 at 2:58 pm

I’m happy to hear you are back home. You have been an inspiration for me since I was diagnosed with PAH. You are a strong woman. Hang in. There. You are in my thoughts and prayers

• brittany-foster

December 5, 2019 at 5:21 pm

Gayle,
      WOW! Thank you so much for saying that. It really means a lot to me to hear things like that and gives me the encouragement to keep going. You truly never know the impact that you may have on other people’s lives and I am grateful to have this platform and ability to communicate with so many amazing people who really give ME a lot strength each day too. Thank you !

• ronald-cole

December 5, 2019 at 5:40 pm

It’s crazy to look at Brittany and not honestly believe she is not unique and here for a reason. Look at the inspiration she has brought to numerous people that have ph on this site. I wish all you NON-COMMENTATORS would join us and just say something about our PH or Illness or even the sports you enjoy. It would be so great to hear from you. This Forum is not a klik of a few people, and it is a place for all of us, we are the chosen ones to suffer this weird Malady, this unseen disease, where we actually can talk to people who suffer. It is horrible and a slow but ever so patient and just knows when to take us down. It is like the devil knawing at us. Without a place to vet, even though it is on our electronics, it is like seeing cockroaches in our home, then quickly hitting them with bug spray, until the next one pops up. Come all and join us we need you much more than you know. It is your small way to give back, for someday you might need us and we will always be here for you, because that is what we are supposed to do. Think about it.

• brittany-foster

December 5, 2019 at 5:46 pm

Ron,
      Thank you so much for your comments and wanting to get more members to reply. I hope you know that your words definitely impact others even if they don’t always respond. Some members will even get on here and read the comments in order to feel less alone. It is always great to see comments and interaction, but know also that it helps people to just read about others going through the same thing. Thank you for always taking the time to comment when you can, even though I know you are also going through a hard time. It means a lot to all of us to know that we have your support too. That is what this community is all about.

• jen-cueva

December 5, 2019 at 6:24 pm

Hi Ron,
      It is great to see you posting. I love your comments about Brittany and the forums. We certainly can help and support one another. I think that many read the forums and may not comment. I am hoping that they will one day feel like they can share, too and they will. Often, some rather not share their stories until they are comfortable. No matter what, as you mention, we will be here for support. Take care.

• Colleen

December 5, 2019 at 6:33 pm

Ron, thank you for encouraging other members to join in the conversations. I believe everyone battling this disease has something they can share that will be helpful and supportive to someone else. I do also know that sharing is difficult for some and when that is the case, I hope that in the least what they are reading in the forums is helping them.

Like you said, we will be here anytime a member, active or not, needs support.