• brittany-foster

May 4, 2018 at 4:49 am

Hey Kathleen,
    I do coloring (especially because it’s something I can take with me for hospital trips) . I also have started to get back into reading again. Reading is a tough one sometimes because of the brain fog but I try to do it more. And writing or journaling helps me de stress! I want to get into doing more though. I actually want to learn how to crochet. Anyone here into crochet?

• kathleen-sheffer

May 4, 2018 at 5:53 pm

Crocheting and knitting are great! I could knit and watch TV for hours. Totally turns my brain off.

I love reading, but really struggled to keep focused (and not fall asleep!) when I had PH. Since my transplant 22 months ago, I have finished 46 books! Probably more than I finished in 23 years with PH. Which is to say the brain fog and exhaustion are real. I thought I was just lazy and bad at reading.

But if you make the effort to read every night, and make sure you are reading books that you actually want to read instead of sticking with boring books, it can be a great relaxing activity. I highly recommend A Man Called Ove to anyone who wants to read a book. It’s funny, sad, and sweet. Has anyone else read it? Definitely one of my favorite books of all time.

• beverly-repouille

May 4, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I crochet a little. I also enjoy coloring, surfing the Internet, and doing genealogy. I love to read (physical books only!).

Brittany, if you want to learn crochet go to YouTube. They have some fabulous tutorials. And there are lots of free patterns on the Internet.

• brittany-foster

May 4, 2018 at 6:01 pm

Kathleen,
    I haven’t read that one but it’s on my list to read! I heard it was really good ! I read “when breath becomes air ” and I’d highly suggest that too!!!

• kathleen-sheffer

May 4, 2018 at 6:59 pm

I read that too – close to home! Currently reading Being Mortal and can’t recommend it yet. I’m just starting and getting into very detailed description of aging and dying – eek – sounds way too much like end-stage pulmonary hypertension, which I survived, thanks to my organ donor! Definitely explains why (at age 25) I relate more to people over 50 than I do to people under 30 hahahah.

• brittany-foster

May 5, 2018 at 7:17 am

I totally feel the same way about finding it hard to relate to my age peers! Anyone else find this difficult? Even just relating to people in general sometimes!