Changing the Pace in Life and Work With Chronic Illness

Anna Jeter avatar

by Anna Jeter |

Share this article:

Share article via email
A column banner depicts colorful flowers against a pink background, with the words

When I was younger, my life with pulmonary hypertension (PH) was busy. I was active in dance, softball, and the arts. I was an engaged student and had an active social life. We took family trips and made many memories. I lived a full childhood in tandem with my progressing disease.

When college came, I began to walk the line of maximum output. I was a full-time nursing student with clinical rounds and a demanding course load. I worked several small jobs around campus, and I was quite social.

I had five wonderful roommates for three of my four years in school, which meant that something was always happening. I didn’t slow down often, and even when I did, I still juggled things so that nothing was dropped.

While a full-time college student living on campus, I also was a full-time heart and lung transplant candidate and a PH patient. Every three months, I was summoned to the Mayo Clinic for evaluation and review. I was in severe, declining heart failure, and I was living with incredibly dangerous pulmonary pressures.

I was always short of breath while walking around campus, and I also had to manage my IV medications. I was a young 20-something who didn’t know how to change my life in order to survive.

Recommended Reading

NORD Rare Disease Summit, Online Oct. 18-19, Open for Registration

My transplant came at an interesting moment when I was stepping from the structured expectations of youth into adulthood. I graduated from college in the spring of 2017. The following year, I was entirely committed to organizing my transplant journey. In August 2018, I moved to California to be near Stanford Hospital. Three weeks later, I received the call.

The three years that followed my transplant have looked very different than the rest of my life. My hospitalization was a traumatic eight-month trial in which I achieved little other than staying alive. After discharge came a demanding period of learning how to live at home with an entirely new set of health issues.

My family and I held our breath for a while, just waiting for me to be readmitted to the hospital, because we believed that my care in a home setting was unsustainable. But that day never came. And then, life slowed down.

At 26, I’ve quietly found myself a bit confused about what comes next. I’m learning that I’m the one who must choose.

I think I’ve been waiting for my hectic schedule to pick back up again. Before my transplant, I never had the chance to settle into a phase of independent adulthood. I’m realizing what a gift it is to be able to control my days at a pace that simply wasn’t an option when I was younger.

For a while, I was discouraged by being left out of the workforce. My tracheostomy and oxygen-dependent lungs made nursing work, or even office work, impossible. But in October 2018, seemingly out of nowhere, I accepted a job with a photo-editing company, a skill I’ve fortuitously developed over the years. I can do this job remotely, as many people now do.

COVID-19 has been horrendous for the disabled community, but I will say that I am thankful the pandemic has created an environment that is more conducive to working remotely. I think this is a good thing for anyone living with a complex, unpredictable illness.

Since last winter, I’ve adopted a rather idyllic schedule: I wake up around 7:30 a.m., after getting as much sleep as I need. I spend some time taking my medications and then start work. I break for lunch, then either work more or dedicate time to creating art in my studio.

I’m a whirlwind of contract work and self-employment, which suits me well. Sometime between 5 and 6 p.m., I walk or bike — anything to move my body when I’m able to. Next, I make dinner, and for the rest of the night, I read or watch a show (or work more on busy days). I’m in bed by 10 p.m. for my nebulizer treatments, and asleep by 11.

Some days this can feel monotonous, especially with the isolation caused by COVID-19. But ultimately, I have more flexibility with my schedule than I was ever afforded in my youth. I have room for symptoms and bad days, and space for a good amount of work when I’m capable. The agency is mine. I can capitalize on every day for whatever I need.

This ability to live my days for myself and for my body is another reason to be grateful that I survived to see my current age. I’m excited to know that the future is entirely mine to shape.


Note: Pulmonary Hypertension News is strictly a news and information website about the disease. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this website. The opinions expressed in this column are not those of Pulmonary Hypertension News or its parent company, Bionews, and are intended to spark discussion about issues pertaining to pulmonary hypertension.


Vivienne Cox avatar

Vivienne Cox

I am from Australia, 72 years old, mother of 4 sons and grandmother of 6. I was diagnosed in April 2020 after a quick round of GP, specialist Clinics and much testing with MRI's, scans, ultra sounds, many blood tests and x-rays. I have since been flooded with appointments and feel I am on a rollercoaster. I was so over all this and with Covid - 19 being the red hot issue, Being in lock down has allowed me to slow down, even though I have not travelled far from home for several years. I don't know when I first started complaining about a chronic fatigue and shortness of breath. There was a reason I guess for my GP not licking it up as I have a history dating back to 1960 when it was discovered I had 3 kidneys. I had 18 months of treatment for TB and over the years a host of issues that I had to live with. As each new diagnosed illness was discovered it was all just associated to being Crohn's related and nothing further was sort. Due to my then GP retiring I was sent to another GP. She listened to my story and she said "ok, we will do some tests and I will refer you to a Respiratory Clinic." From that day forward it has been go, go, go, and then "You have Pulmonary Hypertension, it is rare and now we have to treat you. There is no cure and can only be treated with medication". This morning I received a call from a city hospital saying they were making arrangements for an admission for me to have treatment and therapy under close supervision. It would depend on how long it would take to sort out the medication as to my hospital stay.. I am so grateful I found this site and will certainly be checking in.

Paige avatar


Thank you or writing this piece. You are shining a light that inspires others, like me, and you reminded me of so very much I have to be grateful for. Thank you!
Sending wishes for continued strength and many happy days ahead!


Leave a comment

Fill in the required fields to post. Your email address will not be published.

A Conversation With Rare Disease Advocates